Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pulling pieces together-Part of the sculpting process.

Digital Sculpture and processes of the creation of the EVelyn Rubenstein Sculpture with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Yes, believe it or not this will be Evelyn. 
Digital Sculpture and processes with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Using a bit of water on the foam helps with the curing
process. I try to keep the foam away from the edges as
dried spray foam on the cured foam is annoying at
later steps
If you have been following this blog on the Evelyn Rubenstein Poject you have seen how the 3d image was created in the computer and then sent to Synappsys Digital Service for milling. This gives me my armature.  However the foam armature comes to me in pieces. Now I must put these together. I do this using Spray foam and secure the pieces with skewers.  Some pieces I might not put together yet, such as the arms/hands. I may want to play with their placement a bit after the clay is put on the armature.

Digital Sculpture and processes with Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Repairing the fingers by using hot wax as glue
Digital Sculpture and processes with Houston, Texas sculptor Bridgette Mongeon
Putting together a foam
torso and shoulders
However, I feel confident in putting together the skirt with the bodice and I can begin to see how she is coming together.  The hands are very fragile and I also attach broken fingers and sand the foam.  We are a long way from completing the sculpture, but I'm excited to get my hands dirty and I look forward to meeting Evelyn in the process. __________________________